The objectives of the Certificate Course are to familiarise the participants with:
- the basic understanding of nuclear science and technology;
- the legal history and international engagement, with a focus on Global South;
- the IAEA – its role and functions -, and international nuclear treaties;
- regulatory structures and liability regimes of select jurisdictions; and
- India’s nuclear laws and regulatory processes, environmental law and judicial decisions in India.
- Lawyers, legal advisers, law faculty and researchers;
- Nuclear scientists, policy makers, and officials from various nuclear institutions;
- Representatives from regulatory institutions and company professionals; – Social science researchers and faculty; and
- PhD students; and 4th and 5th year law students.
Certificate & Venue:
Certificate of participation will be given. The program will be held online in March, 2021.
Fees (incl. taxes) for 4-day training program (4 Saturdays March, 2021):
- Rs. 2,000 for professionals.
- Rs. 1,000 for students.
|Day 1 (Saturday 6 March, 2021): Nuclear Energy, India’s Nuclear Energy Program, & International Atomic Energy Agency|
|Nuclear energy fuel cycle & types of NPPs in India India’s nuclear energy program: evolution, technology program, governance structures Introduction to international nuclear law, the IAEA (its role and functions), safeguards|
|Day 2 (Saturday 13 March, 2019): Regulatory structures & nuclear safety|
|Nuclear regulatory regime in India; current AERB & proposed NSRA Bill, 2011 Convention on Nuclear Safety & India’s participation|
|Day 3 (Saturday 20 March, 2021): Nuclear Liability Regimes – International & India & India Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP)|
|International nuclear liability and insurance principles India: The Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act, 2010 and related Rules India Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) and its operation United States nuclear liability law: Price Anderson Act and case laws|
|Day 4 (Saturday 27 March, 2021): Transport of radioactive material & radioactive waste management & EIA in India|
|Nuclear Transport Code of India + case studies Radioactive waste management: practices abroad & in India Environmental Impact Assessment procedure & key NGT decisions|
|Gandhi, Sonal:||Atomic Energy Regulatory Board|
|Grover, Ravi:||DAE Homi Bhabha Chair Professor; Member, Atomic Energy Commission|
|C.P. Kaushik:||Outstanding Scientist, Chief Superintendent, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre|
|Nandakumar, A.N.:||Former Head, Radiological Safety Division, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board|
|Nick, Sexton Kimberly:||Deputy Head, Office of Legal Counsel, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency|
|Ram Mohan, M P:||Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad|
|Reynaers, Els:||Partner, MV Kini, Mumbai|
|Reyners, Patrick:||Former Head of Legal Affairs at OECD- Nuclear Energy Agency, Paris|
|Sinha, Soumen:||Atomic Energy Regulatory Board|
|Sidhu, Tavinder:||Partner, MV Kini, Delhi|
|Teplinksy, Elina:||Partner, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP|
|Tonhauser, Wolfram:||Head, Nuclear and Treaty Law Section, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)|
(4 Saturdays: 6/13/20/27 March)
Nuclear Law Association, India
TERI School of Advanced Studies
Sai University & Daksha Fellowship